Are you having a hard time falling asleep? Even worse, are your little ones having a tough time falling or staying asleep?
The base of this soothing sleep rub contains three skin-friendly ingredients, coconut oil, grapeseed oil and beeswax. The mixture of essential oils work together to produce the powerful effect that this rub has. This recipe is “kid safe” for 6+months and older but as with ALL essential oil recipes be sure to monitor for minor skin irritations.
What You’ll Need (These are the basics for several rubs, balms and more DIY personal product recipes):
- 1 cup Coconut Oil
- 1 cup Grapeseed Oil
- 5 tablespoons Organic Beeswax Pellets
- 1.5 teaspoons of NYR Organic Night Time Blend or 30 drops of each Lavender, Chamomile Roman, Mandarin and 10 drops each of Ylang Ylang, Geranium, Clary Sage and Bergamot. (I use NYR Essential Oils due to their commitment to safety, fair trade & the environment but feel free to use whatever brand of trusted Organic Essential Oils you love). If you are making a strictly adult version you could safely double the amount of essential oils for a more powerful effect.
- Place the coconut oil, grapeseed oil, and grated beeswax in a metal or glass bowl, and heat over a double boiler or slowly warm in the microwave in short bursts (glass only for the microwave). Once everything has melted, give it a few quick stirs to make sure its all blended. Remove bowl from heat source and place on the counter, preferably on a dish towel.
- Add in the 1.5 teaspoons of Essential Oils. Lavender promotes calm and relaxation while Chamomile Roman is one of the finest essential oils used to assist relaxation before bedtime. Mandarin soothes nervous tension and sadness. Ylang Ylang eases the mind and helps the body relax. Geranium is uplifting and helps ease the stress of daily life. Clary Sage supports a more tranquil mood and supports a calming and restful sleep and Bergamot is a favorite amongst essential oil users for its aroma and therapeutic properties. Its ability to help boost the mind and ease your worries, especially during times of sadness and grief. Add to the coconut and grape seed oil mixture. The rub will have a relaxing citrus light floral smell.
- Carefully ladle or pour the warm Sweet Dreams Rub into clean jars, let cool until room temperature, and then cap. Your sleep rub is now ready to use! Keep it close to the bed and massage into feet and cover with cozy socks or massage into shoulders, chest or temples. Great as part of your bedtime ritual and after a bath. You or your kiddo will be off to dreamland soon and have a more restful sleep.
Makes about 16 ounces of Sweet Dreams Sleep rub.
Pin for Later: